Tuesday 20 December 2011

Day 2 - Velocette

So today I did manage to get out of my pit and swim. And yes it was hard work.

Today is Velocette Day - time to give the old girl a looking at as she still won't start easily and last time I was out on her she was running a bit rough.

My 1954 Velocette MAC:-

The bit of wood under the centre stand is because the wheels still touch the ground when its on the centre stand due to a hamfisted recovery man and his ratchet straps.


As usual I kicked and kicked and nowt happened. Checked the spark - nice and blue. So I tickled the carb just a little bit and she burst into life (which is much better than bursting into flames). But there was a lot of popping and banging and spitting back through the carb.


MOT checks seemed to be OK. All lights work and theres nowt wrong with the chassis and wheels.


Of course, what normally happens happened - pulled the nipple of the valve lifter cable.


Resoldering:-



Time to check out the carb - must be running weak if its spitting.

The AMAL 276 carburettor - those of you familar with old junk will note that there is something missing:-


Yup - the throttle stop screw has fallen out. No wonder it was running a bit lean. Ho hum.


And as always, it'll be the threads in the carb which are knackered not the throttle stop screw - but I won't know that til I buy a new one.


More fun tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment